The Yattendon Estate in its present form is the amalgamation of several smaller estates acquired by the first Lord Iliffe between 1925 and 1940.
The Iliffe Family also used to own and live atwhich adjoins the Yattendon Estate. Most of this Estate was sold in 1925 including the villages of Lower and Upper Basildon. Basildon Park was rescued and restored by the 2nd Lord & Lady Iliffe but was gifted to the National Trust in 1978. The Family now live at the heart of the Estate in Yattendon village.
Yattendon has a long history of agriculture as you can see from the photographs on this page. The Estate was also a pioneer in the UK Christmas Tree industry in the 1970's and this continues today.
The Estate has always been home to a number of rural businesses and, of particular note in the last century were the Yattendon brick kilns, charcoal burners, wheelwrights and numerous other rural industries. These have now evolved into the mix ofthat work from the Estate today.